This heaven on Earth is the oldest and most visited Croatian National Park. It was granted UNESCO world heritage status in 1979. No matter how many times you visit this paradise it never fails to amaze.
It is easily approachable by road, especially since the highway from Zagreb to Split has been finished. There are several regular bus lines that connect Zagreb, Zadar and Split with Plitvice Lakes. A lot of agencies also organize daily trips and include a guided tour through the park.
Once you arrive, we are sure you’ll want to stay there forever. It presents a magnificent landscape with sixteen lakes and numerous waterfalls and cascades. The phenomena of the park are very fragile tuffa barriers which took years to grow in. The park is rich with wildlife, there are several protected and endemic plant species, its most popular resident is the brown bear, but there is abundance of other animals – 157 bird species and 50 mammal species like shrew, dormouse, vole, pine and beech marten, wild boar but the most popular ones are lynx, otter, red deer, and wolf. This makes the Plitvice Lakes a perfect destination for any nature lover. The sound of waterfalls, birds chirping and feeling of freshness will forever remain etched into your memory.
After miles of walking or cycling you will definitely need some food to restore your energy for further exploring. The restaurant “Lika house” (Lička kuća) will offer you some of the local specialties.
It is recommendable to visit this magnificent national park during the summer or spring when the nature is in full bloom, but it is also remarkable to see it covered with snow. It looks like a winter fairytale. The lakes are astonishing during any weather conditions but rain tends to ruin the mood of the visitors.
It does not surprise that this romantic and fairytale environment was recognized by many couples as a perfect place for their wedding ceremonies. The ceremony can be held in several locations, near the waterfalls or on the boat, the accommodation is available (for other visitors as well) at one of the four hotels inside the park or maybe in one the private apartments that are available. There are also two camping grounds.
TICKET PRICES 2015
Period – price per person: 1 November – 31 March ( in this period panoramic trains and electric boats do not operate – tours are possible on foot. Daily information on possible tours depending on the weather is available at the Park Entrances)
- Adults: 55,00 HRK (8$/7,3€)
- Adults – GROUPS*: 50,00 HRK (7,4$/6,6€)
- Students: 45,00 HRK (6,6$/6€)
- Students – GROUPS: 40,00 HRK (6$/5,3€)
- Children and teenagers 7 – 18 years: 35,00 HRK (5$/4,6€)
- Children and teenagers 7 – 18 years – GROUPS*: 30,00 HRK (4,4$/4€)
- Children below 7 years of age: FREE
Period- Price per person: 1 April – 30 June and 1 September – 31 October
- Adults: 110,00 HRK (16$/14,5€)
- Adults – GROUPS: 100,00 HRK (14,8$/13€)
- Students: 80,00 HRK (11,8$/10,6€)
- Students – GROUPS*: 70,00 HRK (10,3$/9€)
- Children and teenagers 7 – 18 years: 55,00 HRK (8$/7,3€)
- Children and teenagers 7 – 18 years – GROUPS*: 50,00 HRK (7,4$/6,6€)
- Children below 7 years of age: FREE
*AT LEAST 15 persons per group
Period – price per person: 1 Jul – 31 Aug
* AT LEAST 15 person groups
TWO-DAY TICKET (VISITORS MUST ENTER THEIR NAMES ON THE TICKET)
Period – price per person: 1 November – 31 March
- Individuals – ADULTS: 90,00 HRK (13,3$/12€)
- Students: 70,00 HRK (10,3$/9€)
- Individuals – CHILDREN: 55,00 HRK (8$/7,3€)
Period – price per person: 1 April – 30 June and 1 Septemper – 31 October
- Individuals – ADULTS: 180,00 HRK (26,5$/23,7€)
- Students: 130,00 HRK (19$/17€)
- Individuals – CHILDREN: 90,00 HRK (13,3$/12€)
Period – price per person: 1 July – 31 August
- Individuals – ADULTS: 280,00 HRK (41$/37€)
- Students: 210,00 HRK (31$/27,7€)
- Individuals – CHILDREN: 140,00 HRK (20,6$/18,5€)
- Apart from the contribution for the continuous park maintenance and protection, the ticket price includes a panoramic train and electric boat ride, tourist insurance and VAT.
Prices collected from:
Campers, cars with trailers and buses: 70 HRK (10,3$/9,3€) per day
- Half day guided tour (up to 4 hours): 900 HRK (133$/119€)
- Full day tour: 1300 HRK (192$/172€)
One guide can lead up to 50 people, if the group does not arrive, full price will be charged, if the guide is cancelled within 24 hours before arranged only half amount of the agreed price will be charged.
Other national parks in Croatia: